Vegetable people allow your children to learn more about healthy nutritious foods and to discover new veggie varieties that are out there. If you are struggling to get your children to eat vegetables this is a great way to explore the feel, smell and texture. Having just done this with my son he willingly cooked his potato man to eat for dinner.
What you will need
A baked potato that is slightly softened in the microwave or oven. It makes pushing the sticks into the potato easier.
A variety of vegetables
Cocktail sticks (under adult supervision)
1. Wash and slightly cook the potatoes utill soft. This allows the cocktail sticks to be pushed in with little resistance.
2. Wash all fresh food before starting.
3. Lay all the vegetables out, talk about how you are going to create your potato person.
4. With supervision, begin to create your person by pushing the sticks in to the potato and adding the vegetables on to the other end.
5. Once you are finished there is the option to cook your potato people for dinner.
While carrying out this activity it gave us the opportunity to explore and talk about the vegetables we were using. Below are a few of things that we discussed.
Where do the vegetables come from?
How long do you think it takes for them to grow?
What do they need to help them grow?
Different sizes of the vegetables, which was the longest or shortest?
Different vegetables you would associate with the seasons, for example tomatoes grow in the summer and pumpkins grow in the autumn.
Our facial features and how everyone is an individual and different from each other.
Posted on 11th September 2019